Monday, February 6, 2012

Can You Build Mental Toughness?

The answer is a resounding yes.  The fact is, it's simple.  Simple, not easy.  Let me give a personal story and then relate it to your situation.
One day a week a do a distance run on the beach.  I like it because I can be outside, take my dog, and it's the beach!  However, without really being aware of it, I have built in expectations that certain things will happen.  Here are some of them...
  • My laces will stay tied
  • I won't get a blister
  • My ipod will stay charged and the headphones will work.
  • The tide won't come up and soak my feet.
  • My dog will not run off and chase other dogs or horses (yes, horses).
  • The weather will be nice, especially a lack of wind.
  • But most of all, I hope it's low tide.  At low tide, the sand is firm and I can run sort of like I do on teh street.  At high tide, it's not quite quick sand, but close.  
I found that I always expected things to go my way and I would get frustrated and defeated if things didn't.
What I did was make a few changes in my attitude.
First, I stopped expecting everything to go perfectly.  I still want things to be ideal, but I don't need or expect them to.  I prefer them to, but again, don't need them to.
Secondly, when things don't go as planned, I simply chalk it up to a challenge that I can overcome.  I want low tide, but if it's high tide, rather then be bummed, I say "oh yeah, you think you can slow me down- - doubt it!"
Next time you find yourself frustrated with a coach, teammate, equipment, umpire, referee, instead of being defeated by it, add it to your challenge pile.  Then after you handle them, look back and congratulate yourself with your behavior.  Additionally, it can also help to visualize or plan for these things ahead of time.  Sure you want to envision success and everything going right, but to also plan for facing challenges is a great way to be prepared for trouble when it will inevitably come your way.
All athletes, all people, all humans, have challenges and when we deal with them in a reasonable manner we increase our mental toughness.
Good luck.
Coach Mazzoni
Coach Mazzoni has recently launched www.getrecruited.net which is a program for high school athletes and their parents that need guidance on the athletic recruiting process.

Get Recruited Website

No comments:

Post a Comment